THE DISCIPLES (LIKE US): STILL A LOT TO LEARN
October 20, 2013
Luke 9:43-50 ESV: [43B] But while they were all marveling at everything he was doing, Jesus said to his disciples,  “Let these words sink into your ears: The Son of Man is about to be delivered into the hands of men.”  But they did not understand this saying, and it was concealed from them, so that they might not perceive it. And they were afraid to ask him about this saying.  An argument arose among them as to which of them was the greatest.  But Jesus, knowing the reasoning of their hearts, took a child and put him by his side  and said to them, “Whoever receives this child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives him who sent me. For he who is least among you all is the one who is great.”  John answered, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not follow with us.”  But Jesus said to him, “Do not stop him, for the one who is not against you is for you.”
The disciples illustrate what is true for all of us, there is always more to learn about the astonishing Christ and the healing He desires to bring to our lives.
A clearer picture of Jesus.
- Jesus is the all powerful God.
- Jesus is the all powerful God who willingly, inconceivably yields to evil people.
A clearer picture of Jesus heals a distorted view of ourselves and others.
- We stop using the world’s status system of comparing ourselves to others.
- We find our significance in our connection with Jesus.
- We see everyone as having value in God’s sight.
- We happily encourage anyone who promotes the authentic Christ.