THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION
November 16, 2014
Luke 18:18-30 ESV:  And a ruler asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”  And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.  You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.’”  And he said, “All these I have kept from my youth.”  When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”  But when he heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich.  Jesus, seeing that he had become sad, said, “How difficult it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!  For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.”  Those who heard it said, “Then who can be saved?”  But he said, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.”  And Peter said, “See, we have left our homes and followed you.”  And he said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God,  who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.”
There is only one most important question: “What must I do to inherit eternal life?” Luke records an exchange between Jesus and a guy who asks that very question in order to make the answer clear to us.
- A man wants to make sure he is saved.
- Jesus affirms loving God gets expressed in how we treat others.
- The man is confident he has met God’s standard.
- Jesus develops how genuine love for God looks. Those who love God treasure Jesus above all else.
- The man’s clearer perspective more thoroughly reveals the limit of his love for God.
- The man’s prior confidence was unwarranted.
- Jesus warns us, it’s especially tough to treasure Him above money if we have money.
- Jesus wants us to celebrate that though it’s tough, God can and will empower folks to treasure Him above all else.
- Many will choose Jesus over money, and other stuff.
- Those who treasure Jesus receive immeasurably more than they forfeit with money.