LEVI GETS A LIFE
January 20, 2013
Luke 5:27-32 ESV:  After this he went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax booth. And he said to him, “Follow me.”  And leaving everything, he rose and followed him.  And Levi made him a great feast in his house, and there was a large company of tax collectors and others reclining at table with them.  And the Pharisees and their scribes grumbled at his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?”  And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.  I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”
Luke wants us to see that Jesus came to heal those in need (physically and especially spiritually) and that those who are healed inevitably want to introduce Jesus to their friends who need him.
- Jesus came to help those who are in need.
- Jesus focused on the needy.
- Jesus makes his mission clear.
- Those who have their needs met by Jesus inevitably want to introduce their friends to Jesus so he can meet their needs.
- Levi’s world was turned around by Jesus.
- Levi threw a party to introduce Jesus to his friends.