STILL DRINKING MILK?
December 6, 2015
Hebrews 5:11-14 ESV: Warning Against Apostasy About this we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.
THE AUTHOR IS CONCERNED ABOUT US, HE WANTS US TO GRASP THAT GENUINE FAITH PRODUCES ONGOING SPIRITUAL TRANSFORMATION (OST). NOT GROWING IN OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH CHRIST IS A REALLY BAD SIGN.
Jesus is the founder of our salvation, this truth is filled with limitless depth and joy.
Too many are missing the ongoing, life transforming, deep truth of Jesus because of apathy.
- 1:1 God has spoken through the prophets, now through His Son, listen to Him.
- 2:1 Pay close attention to the message you’ve heard lest you drift away and neglect our great salvation.
- 3:1 Consider Jesus.
- 3:8 Don’t harden your hearts like Israel did in the wilderness.
- 3:12 Take care, lest you have an evil, unbelieving heart.
- 4:1 Be afraid of not entering God’s eternal rest.
- 4:11 Be diligent to enter God’s rest lest you fall by disobedience (unbelief).
- 4:14 Let us hold fast our confession.
While we ought to be feeding others this ongoing, life transforming, deep truth of Jesus, too many still need to be nursed. (Sarcasm – irony)
Those still drinking spiritual milk are childish.
Solid food provides the nourishment essential to live as Christ treasurers.
WHAT DOES DRINKING SPIRITUAL MILK LOOK LIKE?
- Didn’t know it was available.
- Not being offered.
- Been offered, but it did not appear appetizing.
- Attempted to eat it, but couldn’t chew or digest.
- Not known someone who enjoyed eating it.
- No one to show how to eat it.
- Not convinced it is that tasty or satisfying.
WHAT DO WE DO TO EAT SOLID FOOD?
- Commit to thinking.
- Commit to reading the Word.
- Commit to pondering Jesus.
- Commit to thinking, reading, and talking about Jesus with others who are similarly committed.
- Commit to helping others not yet drinking spiritual milk, or spiritual solid food, help them think, read, and talk about Jesus.
- Commit wholeheartedly to eating solid food – the most important thing we can do to experience the most in life.
Life Group Questions
WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
1. How would you summarize the big idea of 5:1-10?
2. About what does the author have much to say?
3. What about “this” makes it hard to explain?
4. What does it mean that they have become “dull of hearing”? Be as precise as you can and is warranted.
5. In what sense ought they to be “teachers”?
6. What are the basic principles of the oracles of God that they still need to be taught?
7. What’s the difference between milk and solid food according to the author?
8. How would you paraphrase the spiritual maturity of someone who still needs milk?
9. what’s the benefit of eating solid spiritual food?
10. How would you paraphrase the big idea of 5:11-14?
HOW DOES IT APPLY?
1. When you, as a new follower of Christ, were drinking spiritual milk, how did you receive it?
2. When you look back, when did you start consuming solid spiritual food? How did you begin to eat spiritual solid food? What was the process?
3. What are the benefits you enjoy from eating solid spiritual food?
4. Have you ever found eating solid spiritual food frustrating? Boring? Explain.
5. What have you found to be an effective way to feed others spiritual milk, spiritual solid food?
6. What would help you consume more spiritual solid food?
7. What would help you more confidently feed others?