ONE AND DONE
March 20, 2016
Hebrews 9:23-28 ESV:  Thus it was necessary for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these rites, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.  For Christ has entered, not into holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true things, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our behalf.  Nor was it to offer himself repeatedly, as the high priest enters the holy places every year with blood not his own,  for then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.  And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,  so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.
JESUS APPEARS IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD FOR US.
Life Group Questions
WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
- What was the big idea of 9:15-22?
- Why was it necessary for the copies of heavenly things to be “purified with these rites”? To what rites is the author referring?
- What heavenly things need to be purified?
- Why does Jesus appear in heaven on our behalf?
- Jesus didn’t offer himself repeatedly, and if he had he would have had to “since the foundation of the world”. Why since the foundation of the world?
- Why according to the author, is it important that we understand Jesus appeared “once for all”?
- How did Jesus “put away sin”?
- What is the result of our dying?
- What is the result of Jesus’ dying?
- Why is Jesus appearing a second time?
- Who is Jesus coming for when he returns the second time?
- How would you summarize 9:23-28?
HOW DOES IT APPLY?
- Why do you think the author spends so much time contrasting the old covenant with the sacrificial system and the new covenant with Jesus?
- How are you feeling about all the emphasis the author has given to the contrast? Bored? Insightful?
- What applications have you personally found in examining this contrast? Are there some places in your life where you have added something to Jesus?
- are you “eagerly waiting” for Jesus 2nd coming? Explain.