WRONG THINKING, WRONG FRUIT, WRONG WAY...
March 9, 2014
Luke 13:1-9 ESV:  There were some present at that very time who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.  And he answered them, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered in this way?  No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.  Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them: do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem?  No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.”  And he told this parable: “A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none.  And he said to the vinedresser, ‘Look, for three years now I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and I find none. Cut it down. Why should it use up the ground?’  And he answered him, ‘Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and put on manure.  Then if it should bear fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down.’”
We must all repent or we will perish is Jesus’ message. To make sure we don’t perish we must understand what we must repent from, and then do it.
- God is judging now.
- God holds some more guilty than others.
- God uses circumstances that produce suffering as a means of judging.
- God does not hold me guilty if my circumstances are good.
- God holds absolutely everyone guilty.
- God will condemn everyone who does not repent.
- God is gracious in providing us an opportunity to repent.
- God gives us limited time to repent.
- God totally forgives everyone who repents.