TREASURING JESUS ISN'T EASY
April 24, 2016
Hebrews 10:32-39 ESV:  But recall the former days when, after you were enlightened, you endured a hard struggle with sufferings,  sometimes being publicly exposed to reproach and affliction, and sometimes being partners with those so treated.  For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one.  Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward.  For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised.  For, “Yet a little while, and the coming one will come and will not delay;  but my righteous one shall live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him.”  But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.
Treasuring Jesus above all else isn’t always easy. The key to embracing Christ is keeping our eyes focused on all that we gain through faith in Him alone.
- Those who treasure Jesus endure suffering joyfully.
- Our experience of salvation empowers us to endure.
- It’s not easy to keep enduring.
- Drifting from Jesus is disastrous.
- Clinging to Jesus brings infinite reward.
- We are not those who will shrink back, we will persevere, our souls will be preserved.
Life Group Questions
WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
- How would you summarize the big idea of 10:26-31?
- What does it mean that they had been “enlightened”?
- What things had those folks endured previously?
- What emotion does the author attribute to them when they endured through hard struggles with suffering that included the plundering of their property?
- What enabled and empowered them to endure such suffering joyfully?
- What’s the “better” and “abiding” possession they had? How did it help them respond to suffering so favorably?
- What is tempting them to throw away their confidence? What would be the consequence (implied) of them losing their confidence?
- Why do they have need of endurance? What is the essence of the challenge they are facing?
- What is the author attempting to communicate in 10:39?
- What do you feel like is the author’s big idea in 10:32-39?
HOW DOES IT APPLY?
- Have you ever faced mistreatment because of your faith? If so, what happened?
- Who do you know that faced suffering and their faith sustained them? How did their faith influence their view of their suffering?
- Have you known anyone who when they were confronted with suffering, ended up drifting from Jesus? What happened? (No gossip)
- When you have faced difficult circumstances, how did your faith affect your view of your circumstances? Your emotions?
- Are you confident going forward that you will not shrink back in faith, but increasingly embrace and treasure Jesus? Explain.
- Who has encouraged you in suffering? What did they do?