What does it say?
- Jesus is the Son of God, why does Luke write that he "grew" in wisdom and favor with God? (2:40, 52)
- Why does Luke include the details of time (feast of Passover) and location (Jerusalem)?
- What’s the significance of Jesus being 12 years old?
- Was Jesus being careless in not notifying his parents?
- Why was Jesus so engrossed in the Temple?
- At what were the teachers “amazed” and why was Mary “astonished”?
- What is it that Mary does “not understand” from v. 50?
- Why does Luke include that Jesus was submissive to his parents following this incident? (2:51)
- What is Mary treasuring in verse 51?
- Why was it important for Jesus to grow “in favor with God and men”?
How does it apply?
- Describe a time when you struggled with submitting to authority.
- When do you struggle the most with obedience? What does this say about your Faith?
- Are there any priorities in your life that are out of alignment with your allegiance to Christ?
- Think of a time in the past 12 months when you reacted to a stressful situation by trusting in God rather than fear. Can you recognize this as a part of a growth pattern from 12 years ago, to 12 months ago, to today?
- Does Jesus amaze and astonish you? Why/Why not?
- What is it that you treasure about Jesus?
- What helps you treasure Jesus more?