What does it mean?
1. How would you summarize Luke’s flow of thought in chapter 9 thus far?
2. How would describe, in your own words, what Jesus looked like? Why did he look like this?
3. Moses and Elijah were talking with Jesus. What does their presence and conversation represent?
4. Moses, Elijah and Jesus talked about his departure, which he was to accomplish in Jerusalem. What were they talking about?
5. Why is it important that Peter, James and John saw Jesus speaking with Moses and Elijah?
6. Why does Peter suggest building 3 tents?
7. Why do you think the cloud enveloped them? What does it symbolize?
8. What impact do you think hearing the voice had on Peter, James and John? What impact do you think Luke intends it to have on us?
9. Why do you think Peter, James and John didn’t initially tell anybody about what they experienced?
10. How would you, in one sentence, describe why Luke includes this story in his gospel?
How does it apply?
1. When you think of Jesus, what are your immediate thoughts? What picture comes initially to your mind?
2. If someone asked you to explain what it means that Jesus is “the Christ”, what would you tell them?
3. After looking at this text where Jesus is transfigured, he converses with Moses and Elijah, the cloud descends and God audibly speaks, has your understanding of Jesus changed? Grown? How? If not, why not?
4. If someone asked you to tell them what difference it makes in your life that Jesus is “the Christ”, what would you say?