What does it mean?
- How would you summarize the big idea of 6:20-26?
- How would you summarize the big idea of 6:27-38?
- How would you summarize the big idea of 6:39-45?
- What sort of relationship is signified by someone calling Jesus, “Lord, Lord” (6:46)?
- What is Jesus’ implied connection between calling him “Lord, Lord and “not” doing what he tells them?
- According to Jesus, what does someone do to build their foundation upon the rock?
- What words of Jesus do you think he intends we “do”?
- What, in Jesus’ mind, do you think the “flood” represents”?
- How according to Jesus, do we recognize the person who builds their house without a foundation?
- What, in Jesus’ intent, do you think he means by “the ruin of the house was great”?
- How would you summarize 6:46-49?
- Verses 6:46-49 are the conclusion to Jesus’ sermon. How does this paragraph fit with the rest of sermon?
How does it apply?
- As you have been working through Jesus’ sermon, what ideas of his have caused you to do the most thinking?
- What questions would you like to ask Jesus about what he says in this sermon?
- What are you doing to build your spiritual house more firmly upon the rock?
- Do you feel like your foundation is pretty solid? Explain.
- What have you done that has unmistakably helped you solidify your spiritual foundation?
- What do you think you could do in the future to more firmly establish your spiritual foundation?