What does it mean?
- How would you summarize the big idea of 7:18-35?
- What does Luke tell us about the Pharisee in 7:36-40? From what Luke tells us why do you think he invited Jesus to dinner?
- What does Luke tell us abut the woman in 7:36-40? From what Luke says, what do you think she thinks and feels about Jesus?
- Why does Luke tell us in v.39 that the Pharisee “said to himself”? What’s the essence of what he said, in your own words?
- Jesus tells the story of the two debtors whose debts are forgiven. Being as precise as you can, what is Jesus’ point? What did he want the Pharisee to grasp?
- Jesus looks at the woman and then addresses Simon and reminds him of all the things the woman did for him (7:44-47). Why? Jesus tells Simon he did not do any of those things. Why?
- Why did Jesus forgive the woman’s sins?
- What is the essence of the issue that is troubling the table guests in 7:49?
- Why do you think Luke ends this story with Jesus’ comments to the woman in 7:50?
How does it apply?
- Has there been a time in your life when you felt overwhelmed by your sense of your sins? What was that like? How did you get there? Who helped you? What did they do?
- How did you come to understand Jesus as the solution to your sin problem?
- Have you always felt like you could easily approach Jesus when you needed forgiveness? Explain.
- The woman washed Jesus’ feet and anointed his head with oil as an expression of her love and worship. How do you most meaningfully praise Jesus?
- How do you help friends who have not recognized their need of Jesus come to see their need and understand that Jesus offers forgiveness to all who will trust him?
- How can we best help our kids understand their need of Jesus?