What does it mean?
1. How would you summarize the big idea of 7:36-50?
2. What is Luke trying to convey in 8:1-3? How does it connect what went before it with what follows?
3. In 8:4-7 Jesus tells us a most familiar parable. As you read just the parable, without referring to Jesus’ explanation, anything interesting strike you about the story?
4. What does Jesus mean by, “He who has ears, let him hear”?
5. In what way had the secrets of the kingdom been given to the disciples?
6. Jesus says, “but for others they are in parables, so that seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.” What does that mean? Is Jesus telling us he deliberately spoke in parables to confound some people?
7. Jesus says that the seed is “the word of God”. What specifically is the “word” of God? The Bible? Explain.
8. How would you describe the folks along the path?
9. How would you describe the folks on the rock?
10. How would you describe the folks among the thorns?
11. How would you describe the folks who are good soil?
12. What does Jesus mean by saying, “hearing the word, hold it fast”? How would the disciples have understood what they were to do to “hold the word fast”?
13. What’s an “honest and good heart” in this context?
14. What does “bearing fruit with patience” look like?
15. How would you paraphrase the big idea of 8:1-15 in one, concise sentence?
How does it apply?
1. Have you known folks that have flat out rejected the gospel? How did their rejection make you feel?
2. Have you known folks who have gotten excited about Jesus for a while, but then fallen away from Jesus? How did that make you feel?
3. When you look at the four soil types, which best represents your present response to Jesus? Why do you think?
4. Who have you known, or do you know, that is unmistakably good soil? What about their life marks them as good soil? What fruit are you seeing from their life?
5. What fruit do you see from your life?
6. How do you hold fast to the word?
7. Is there anything RCC could do to assist you to hold more tightly to the word?