What does it mean?
1. How would you summarize Jesus’ big idea in the parable of the soils?
2. What are the three characteristics Jesus mentions as being a part of those who are good soil (8:15)?
3. What is Jesus’ point about the lamp, in your own words?
4. How does what Jesus tells us about the lamp related to the parable of the soils?
5. Everything will eventually be revealed (8:17). When? Why does Jesus state that here?
6. “Take care then how you hear…” (8:18) In your own words, what is Jesus encouraging us to do?
7. Jesus makes it clear. “…for the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he thinks he has will be taken away.” What specifically does the one “have”, that the other “thinks” he has? What will the one receive more of and the other lose?
8. Jesus’ mother and brothers are trying to reach him and can’t because of the size of the crowd. Jesus uses someone bringing this to his attention as an opportunity to reveal truth. Luke connects this story with the lamp illustration and the parable of the soils. What is Jesus emphasizing here that Luke wants us to see? Who are Jesus’ mother and brothers?
9. How would you summarize the big idea of 8:19-21?
10. How does the story of the lamp, the story of Jesus’ mother and brothers connect to the parable of the soils?
11. If, in one sentence, you were state Jesus’ primary thought as intended by Luke for us to understand in 8:1-21, what would it be?
How does it apply?
1. As you have been assessing what kind of soil you are, what conclusion are you moving towards? Why? How do you feel when you address this question?
2. Who has been a light that helped you to see Jesus? How did the light of Jesus shine from them? Be precise.
3. Do you think your relationship with Jesus is the kind of relationship that others should have with him? Explain.
4. What do you do that helps you “hear” from Jesus?
5. What have you “heard” from Jesus lately?
6. Are you convinced doing what Jesus tells us to do will make you happier? Explain.
7. Are you confident you are a part of Jesus’ family? Explain.
8. What could you or RCC do to help you increase you certainty in Jesus?