What does it mean?
1. What was Luke’s big idea in 9:10-17?
2. Why do you think Jesus asks the disciples who the crowds say that he is?
3. Who do the crowds think he is? Where else have you heard these descriptions?
4. Who does Peter, speaking for the disciples, say that Jesus is?
5. At this point, what do you think the disciples understand the Messiah to be? Describe.
6. After declaring Jesus the “Christ of God”, Jesus commands the disciples, “to tell this to no one”. Why do you think he command them not to talk about who he is?
7. Jesus refers to himself as the “Son of Man”. Why?
8. Jesus tells the disciples that he will “suffer”, “be rejected”, “killed” and “be raised”. Why does Jesus tell them here? Why does Luke include this account here?
9. How would you summarize the big idea of 9:18-22?
How does it apply?
1. When did you start to get a clear idea of who Jesus is?
2. How did you begin to get a clear idea of who Jesus is?
3. When and how did the identity of Jesus move from your head to your heart?
4. Since trusting Christ, have there been times when you have had significant clarifying insights into Jesus that appreciably encouraged your faith? What were they?
5. How has your growing understanding of who Jesus is affected your values? Your lifestyle? Your use of finances? Your relationships with others?