What does it mean?
1. How would you summarize the big idea of 17:22-37?
2. How would you paraphrase what Luke tells us about why Jesus told this parable?
3. Jesus tells us that the judge, “neither feared God nor respected man”. What other words would you use to describe the judge?
4. What is the widow asking of the judge?
5. Why does the judge finally grant the woman’s request?
6. How is the judge connected to God? Does God “respect man”? What’s Jesus’ point in this comparison? Explain.
7. Jesus poses the question, “And will not God give justice to his elect who cry to him day and night?” What is Jesus saying?
8. What does Jesus mean by he will give justice speedily? Today? This month? This year? At Jesus’ 2nd coming? Explain using the text.
9. Why does Jesus ask that last question, “when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”
10. How does the question Jesus asks in 18:8 relate to the question of what he means by “speedily”? Does it relate? Explain.
11. How would you state the big idea of 18:1-8?
How does it apply?
1. How’s your prayer life? Explain.
2. Are there circumstances right now you are facing that are tempting you to “lose heart”?
3. How is your prayer life connected to your hope in Christ? To challenging circumstances?
4. How does the reality of Jesus’ 2nd coming impact your day to day emotions? How does it affect your prayer life?
5. What could God do that would increase your hope and bolster your prayer life today?