What does it mean?
- Why did the lepers stand “at a distance”?
- What was the leper’s request?
- What was Jesus’ response to the lepers?
- Why did Jesus send them to the priests?
- When were they healed?
- How would you summarize the response of the one who returned to Jesus?
- Why does Jesus ask where the other 9 are?
- What’s the relevance of one who returned to Jesus being a “foreigner”, a “Samaritan”?
- The ESV translates 17:19b as,” your faith has made you well”. It could also be translated, “your faith has saved you”. Does that change your understanding of what Jesus might be saying?
- How close to Jesus did the Samaritan get after he was healed? Any significance?
- Do you think Jesus is saying the Samaritan’s faith was the basis of his physical healing, or, is Jesus saying he received spiritual healing because of his faith? Explain.
- What was the basis of the other 9’s physical healing according to Luke? Was it their faith? What does Luke say?
- What do you think is the big idea of 17:11-19?
How does it apply?
- Have you ever known anyone that didn’t seem grateful for the general blessings they have received? (No names or gossip.) Why do you think they missed them?
- How generous has God been to you? Do you ever feel as though you overlook God’s generosity? Explain.
- How does your experience of God’s general blessings to you relate to your faith?
- When did you first come to faith?
- How did you feel, when you realized that faith, and faith alone is all that is necessary to be “saved” by Jesus?
- How do you feel now about your salvation having been received through faith? Have you gotten more excited? Less? About the same as when you first trusted Jesus? Explain.