What does it mean?
1. How would paraphrase the ruler’s question?
2. Why does Jesus say, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.” Isn’t Jesus good? Isn’t he God?
3. Jesus quotes 5 of the 10 commandments? Why do you think he references these and not the others?
4. The ruler is confident he has kept the commandments. How would you paraphrase what Jesus says is the one thing the ruler has not done? Is it related to the 5 commandments the ruler thought he kept?
5. Why was the ruler sad?
6. According to Jesus is it more difficult for a rich person to enter the kingdom of heaven than a poor one? Why do you think?
7. Those listening to the exchange ask, “Then who can be saved?” Why don’t they just ask about the rich, that’s who Jesus said would have a difficult time entering the kingdom of heaven?
8. “What is impossible with men is possible with God.” What specifically is impossible with men? What specifically is possible with God?
9. Peter references that he and the other disciples have left their homes and followed Jesus? Is Jesus pleased? Explain.
10. Jesus promises those who leave their homes, wives, parents, children and follow him will receive “many times more in this time”. What specifically is the “many times more” that Jesus is talking about?
11. How would you summarize the big idea of 18:18-30?
How does it apply?
1. Why do you think Jesus spends so much time, and Luke devotes so much of his writing to how we use our money?
2. When you first trusted Jesus how did you understand your faith was connected to your use of finances?
3. How today do you see your use of finances connected to your faith?
4. When you examine your view and use of money, what conclusions do you draw about your faith?
5. Have you had a time in your life when money was really tight? How did that impact your following Jesus?
6. Jesus says, “…there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God, who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.” What are some of the “many more in this time” things that you have received from God that you are presently enjoying?