What does it mean?
1. How would you summarize the big idea of 13:1-9?
2. The woman cannot stand up straight. Is it a physical or spiritual problem according to Luke? Explain.
3. What did Jesus do to heal her?
4. Why did Jesus heal her?
5. How would you describe the ruler of the synagogue’s response to Jesus’ healing of the woman? Why did he talk to the crowd rather than directly to Jesus?
6. Jesus responds by calling them “hypocrites”. To whom is Jesus referring to as hypocrites. How are they displaying their hypocrisy according to Jesus?
7. How were Jesus’ adversaries put to shame?
8. Why did the people rejoice?
9. What is the big idea Luke intends to convey in 13:10-17?
How does it apply?
1. What was your view of the “Sabbath” growing up?
2. How do you think Jesus intends we celebrate the “Sabbath” today? Should it be different from other days? If so, how?
3. Why do you think so many physical healings are recorded by Luke?
4. Do you think Jesus wants to heal people today? Explain.
5. When did you first experience Jesus’ compassion and mercy? How did you respond?
6. Is there a place in your life where you would like Jesus to bring healing? Emotionally, physically, financially, relationally, spiritually?