What does it mean?
1. How would you describe the setting in which Jesus told the parable (15:1-2)?
2. Why did the young son ask for his inheritance?
3. How would a father feel if his son asked for his inheritance early? How would you expect a father to respond?
4. What happened to the younger brother after he left home?
5. How would you describe the younger son’s attitude when he went back home?
6. What kind of reception do you think the son would have expected?
7. When his father ran to meet, embraced, and threw a party for him, what would the younger brother have felt?
8. What do you think Jesus wants us to learn from the prodigal son?
How does it apply?
1. What was life like for you before you recognized your need of Jesus?
2. How did you come to understand your desperate condition without Jesus? How desperate did you get?
3. How did you feel when you first experienced the Heavenly Father’s loving, forgiving, grace filled embrace?
4. How did you, do you celebrate being welcomed home by God?
5. Are there ways you are still tempted to live like the prodigal before he returned home? How are you still tempted to look for the security that can only come from God in other places?