What does it mean?
1. How would you summarize 4:11-16
2. Where were the Old Testament Priests chosen from?
3. Why do you think the author includes the idea that the priests had to offer sacrifices for themselves?
4. Why is it important that Jesus was a high priest “chosen among men” like all the others?
5. Is the prayer of Jesus referring to a specific time period and what does it mean that “[he] was able to save him from death”?
6. What does it mean that Jesus was “heard because of his reverence”?
7. What does it mean that Jesus “learned obedience”? What were the “sufferings” according to v 8?
8. What is the author trying to communicate by saying “he became the source of eternal salvation”?
9. Why does the author make the source of eternal salvation a conditional statement?
10. What is the obedience referencing in v 9?
11. How would you summarize 5:1-10?
How does it apply?
1. What does knowing Christ fulfilling the role of being ultimate priest illicit in your mind and heart? Why do you not need anyone to mediate between you and God? How does that make you feel?
2. Have you ever pursued a priest to talk to God for you? Why? Was that necessary?
3. Why would some worldviews say you must have a mediator in order to go before God?
4. Why is it important that Jesus is fully qualified to be our only source for salvation?
5. When you speak with others both in and outside of the church about Jesus being the only source, how do you go about that? Is there a best way to have that conversation? Explain.