What does it mean?
1. How would you summarize Luke’s flow of thought in 21:5-33?
2. What does Jesus mean by, “Watch yourselves”? How do we watch ourselves?
3. What does it mean to have one’s heart “weighed down”?
4. What is “dissipation” in this context?
5. How might dissipation, drunkenness and the cares of life weigh someone’s heart down?
6. What’s the “trap” that Jesus is talking about? How would someone fall in it?
7. What do you think Jesus means by “Stay awake at all times”? What specifically is He referring to?
8. Jesus tells us we should be praying for the strength to “escape all these things”? What things? And in what sense are we praying that we would escape them?
9. In what way are we to “stand before the Son of Man”?
10. In one sentence how would you summarize 21:34-36? How does it connect to 21:5-33?
11. What’s Luke’s point in 21:37-38?
How does it apply?
1. How often do you evaluate your spiritual health?
2. When you evaluate your spiritual condition, what do you use as a basis for your evaluation?
3. Do you ever feel like your heart gets “weighed down” with the cares of this life? What’s that look like for you?
4. What circumstances tend to weigh down your heart?
5. When your heart is feeling weighed down, how do you usually respond?
6. Can you imagine how great it will feel to boldly stand before Jesus when He returns? What do you think that will be like for you?
7. What do you think would help you to focus more on the spiritual life that we have in Jesus, be better prepared for His triumphant return?