What does it mean?
1. How would you summarize the big idea of 1:1-4?
2. How would you summarize what the author is saying in 1:5-6?
3. In what sense is Jesus the “firstborn”?
4. What does it mean that God makes the angels “winds” and His ministers a “flame of fire”?
5. How would you paraphrase what the author is saying about Jesus in 1:8-12? What attributes is he describing?
6. What’s the significance of Jesus sitting at the right hand of the Father?
7. What is the role of angels? What are they to do?
8. What’s the big idea of 1:5-14?
9. Is there anything significant about the author quoting the Psalmists in this literary context? Hint: What was the message of the prophets as summarized by the author’s quotes in chapter 1?
10. What do you think the author hoped his readers would be thinking about after they read this 1st chapter?
11. What do you think the author hoped his readers would be feeling after they read this 1st chapter?
How does it apply?
1. What characteristics of Jesus as listed by the author strike you the most? Explain.
2. Are there any descriptions of Jesus listed here that are challenging to understand? Which ones?
3. When you read chapter 1, and think about Jesus as He is described by the author, how do you feel?
4. What attribute of Jesus brings you to awe, to be inspired, to be wowed? Why?
5. How do you feel about angels being here to help us?
6. What does salvation mean to you?