What does it mean?
- How would you summarize the big idea of 10:26-31?
- What does it mean that they had been “enlightened”?
- What things had those folks endured previously?
- What emotion does the author attribute to them when they endured through hard struggles with suffering that included the plundering of their property?
- What enabled and empowered them to endure such suffering joyfully?
- What’s the “better” and “abiding” possession they had? How did it help them respond to suffering so favorably?
- What is tempting them to throw away their confidence? What would be the consequence (implied) of them losing their confidence?
- Why do they have need of endurance? What is the essence of the challenge they are facing?
- What is the author attempting to communicate in 10:39?
- What do you feel like is the author’s big idea in 10:32-39?
How does it apply?
- Have you ever faced mistreatment because of your faith? If so, what happened?
- Who do you know that faced suffering and their faith sustained them? How did their faith influence their view of their suffering?
- Have you known anyone who when they were confronted with suffering, ended up drifting from Jesus? What happened? (No gossip)
- When you have faced difficult circumstances, how did your faith affect your view of your circumstances? Your emotions?
- Are you confident going forward that you will not shrink back in faith, but increasingly embrace and treasure Jesus? Explain.
- Who has encouraged you in suffering? What did they do?