What does it mean?
1. How would you summarize Abel’s faith based upon what Cain’s faithlessness looked like?
2. What does the author want us to recognize about Enoch according to v5?
3. What does it mean that Enoch was “commended as pleasing God”?
4. Describe the connection the author makes between pleasing God and faith.
5. What does the author say are the two essential elements in faith?
6. What does it mean to believe that God exists?
7. What is the reward the author is referring to?
8. What does it mean to seek God?
9. What is the author’s intent in communicating the idea of seeking God as the reward?
How does it apply?
1. How were you first presented with the idea of pleasing God? Explain how your thinking has evolved regarding this idea?
2. In seeking to please God, why does it matter whether we see Him as desirable or not?
3. When we do things to please God out of a sense of duty is that dishonoring to Him? Explain.
4. Is your primary desire for God himself, or for His benefits? How do you discern between them? What do human relationships look like that are primarily focused on the benefits?
5. What would life look like for you if you were able to see God Himself as more desirable? What might move you toward that new point of view?