Hebrews 11:8-10; Genesis 12:1-4
What does it mean?
1. How do you see Chapter 11 fitting in with the overall flow of Hebrews thus far—There’s no one like Jesus, don’t drift (ch.1-6), Jesus plus nothing (7-10), and then…?
2. How would you summarize the first two accounts of faith in Chapter 11 (Abel and Noah)?
3. How was Abraham’s faith ‘an assurance of things hoped for?’ In what way was it a ‘conviction of things unseen?’
4. What does the author of Hebrews tell us in vs. 8-10 were the results of Abraham’s faith?
5. In v. 9, the author describes the circumstances of Abraham’s obedience. Why include these details? Why mention the kids?
6. What is the ‘city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God?’
7. How did the promise of that city influence Abraham’s obedience?
How does it apply?
1. What about Abraham most encourages your faith?
2. What rewards from God motivate your decisions: where you live, how you spend money, how you interact with friends and family?
3. How do you listen for God’s voice? What has God done to help us in hearing His voice?
4. Are there any unfamiliar territories that God has called you to go into? Explain.
5. What would a faith like Abraham’s look like in your life? At your job? In your home? With your friends and family?