Hebrews 11:4; Genesis 4:1-11
What does it mean?
1. How would you summarize 11:1-3?
2. What does the author say is the basis for his, and our concluding, that Abel had faith?
3. What does it mean, that Abel was “commended as righteous”?
4. How is that Abel, “still speaks”?
5. According to the author, Moses, in Genesis 4, why was Cain’s offering not acceptable to God?
6. What was Cain’s response to God rejecting his offering?
7. What sin was “crouching” at Cain’s door?
8. Why do you think the author focuses on Cain’s response?
9. Why do you think Cain killed Abel?
10. Cain responds to God’s question about the whereabouts of Abel with, “I do not know, am I my brother’s keeper?” What is being revealed about Cain’s heart?
11. We learn about Abel’s faith to a large extent, based upon what Cain’s faithlessness looks like. What do we learn about faith?
How does it apply?
1. Have you ever wondered about whether or not God is accepting your offerings? Explain.
2. What do you think God’s expectations are for our offerings?
3. What are we to offer to God? Money? Time? Talents?
4. Do you ever measure your faith against others? How could this appraisal be helpful? How could this assessment be harmful?
5. What would help you have a greater confidence in God’s acceptance through your faith?