WHAT DOES THE TEXT SAY
1. How would you summarize Philippians 3:1-11?
2. Paul lists four intense desires in v.10-11. What are they? What is Paul attempting to communicate through those ideas?
3. What is Paul referring to when he says that he hasn’t attained to or obtained yet?
4. In v.12-14, what is the “goal” for which Paul is striving?
5. What does Paul mean by “forgetting what lies behind”?
6. Paul indicates that his motivation to persevere is because “Christ Jesus has made me his own”. How does this work? Why might the assurance that Paul belongs to Christ motivate him to “strain forward”? What does Paul mean when saying “Knowing Christ Jesus My Lord”?
7. In Paul’s mind, is “forgetting” just as important as “straining toward”? Explain. How would you paraphrase Philippians 3:1-9?
8. Why might Paul consider it a mark of maturity to recognize your own imperfection?
9. How would you paraphrase Philippians 3:12-16?
HOW DOES IT APPLY?
1. What does knowing Jesus more mean for you?
2. How would you explain your current strategy for growing in your “knowledge” of Jesus?
3. What kinds of results is your strategy producing?
4. What thoughts or feelings do you experience when hanging with others who are growing in their knowledge of Jesus? Hanging with those who don’t “know” Jesus?
5. If you have someone in your life who isn’t desiring to press on in the way Paul describes, what would your encouragement to them be?