2 Peter 3:1-7
What does it mean?
1. How would you summarize 2 Peter 2:10-22?
2. Why does Peter emphasize that this is his 2nd letter?
3. What reasons did Peter give his readers to pay attention to this writing?
4. What is the ‘sincere mind’ to which Peter wants to stir us up?
5. What is a scoffer? What are the scoffers following and, by implication, forgetting?
6. What was the argument against the return of Christ that the scoffers/false teachers were using?
7. What historical events did Peter use to refute the idea that all things continue as they were from the beginning?
8. What two ideas does Peter point to (in vs. 5-6) to show that the false teachers claim has no substance? Explain.
9. What is now keeping and preserving the world? What is being “stored up”? How will God judge them?
10. How would you put 2 Peter 3:1-7 in your own words?
How does it apply?
1. Have you ever had someone promise you something important and then fail to deliver? How did you feel? (Disappointed, angry, resigned, expected it, something else…) Have you been tempted to believe God has failed you?
2. How does the biblical truth of God’s personal involvement in creation give you hope in His continued involvement in the world today? Or does it not?
3. When you think of the return of Christ, what thoughts, images, and emotions come to mind?
4. How does Peter’s confidence in the return of Christ encourage us?
5. How would a confidence like Peter’s, help us to live more fully the life he describes in 2 Peter 1:5-8? How might those things protect us from those who tempt us to believe God has failed us?
6. How might a greater confidence in Christ’s return change your perspective on God’s final judgment? How might it change life today, tomorrow, next week…?