2 Peter 2:10b-16
What does it mean?
1. How would you summarize 2 Peter 2:1-10?
2. In v. 10b, who are the ‘glorious ones’ that the false teachers are blaspheming?
3. What does Peter mean when he writes ‘they do not tremble’ as they dishonor these ‘glorious ones?’ Compare this to the treatment of angels in Sodom (Genesis 19:5).
4. In what ways, according to Peter in vs.11-12, are the false teachers unlike the angels, and like irrational animals?
5. From vs.12-13, what will result from their blasphemous, destructive behavior?
6. What is Peter communicating in v. 13 by the phrase, ‘while they feast with you’?
7. Peter uses the phrase, ‘reveling in their deceptions.’ Who is being deceived?
8. Using Peter’s exhortation from chapter 1:5-10, who are the unsteady souls that these false teachers are enticing?
9. What do the phrases ‘hearts trained in greed’ and ‘eyes…insatiable for sin’ communicate about these people?
10. Who was Balaam? (Numbers 22-24,31:8,16) How does Peter summarize Balaam’s error? How have these false teachers ‘gone the way of Balaam’?
11. How would you put 2 Peter 2:10b-16 in your own words?
How does it apply?
1. What are today’s ‘false teachers’ teaching? On what basis do they move away from the Scriptures?
2. Peter warns his readers because he is afraid they are being deceived by these false teachers. How might we be deceived by false teachers?
3. How do we assess false teaching and the resulting behavior without judging? What is our role, and what is God’s role?
4. How can you prepare yourself for the ‘false teachers’ who will come along next in your life?
5. How do we help one another, and protect one another, from ever going the way of Balaam, the way of the false teachers?