Genesis 1:26-28, Genesis 2
What does it mean?
1. How would you summarize Genesis 1?
2. Read chapter 2. What are the big Ideas of chapter 2?
3. What is the connection between Genesis 1 and 2?
4. What does it mean to be created in the “image of God”?
5. What are some of the unique privileges and responsibilities entrusted to God’s image bearers?
6. Why are we called to “be fruitful and multiply”?
7. How do we exercise “dominion” over the earth?
8. How does the author intend us to view the account of the 7th day in light of the image of God?
9. Compare the description of the land in 2:4-6 with what we read in chapter 1.
10. In v.7, what seems to be Moses’ point in telling us that Adam is made from dust?
11. What details does Moses include in telling us about the Garden and what is he hoping the reader hears?
12. When Moses quotes God and says, “it is not good for man to be alone” are we to understand that God had a sudden epiphany? What is Moses trying to show us here? About ourselves and about God?
13. How would you summarize Genesis 2?
How does it apply?
1. Why does God’s intimate involvement in creating all humans in His image matter? What difference should it make as we interact with those around us?
2. What does it look like to believe that God modeled rest for us and that we can rest in Him?
3. How do other voices in our culture potentially lead us away from seeing each other as made in the image of God? How does our culture delineate value and worth?
4. In what ways do we dishonor the image of God in ourselves and others? What kinds of thoughts, behaviors or attitudes devalue or belittle God’s design for the way he intended it?
5. Who are those that are hardest for you to treat as valuable? Have you ever been uncomfortable or felt devalued or devalued others? Explain.
6. How can we increasingly demonstrate that we reflect God to the world around us and view others as made in his image? What words or phrases do you use? How can we celebrate the truth that men and women share a common identity and purpose and value before God?
7. What would a greater appreciation for being made in His image do to increase our experience of God and relational intimacy with Him?