WHAT DOES THE TEXT SAY?
1. How would you summarize the big ideas of Philippians 1-3? What shift has occurred in Philippians 4?
2. What does Paul mean by “now at length you have revived your concern for me”?
3. What does it mean that the Philippian church “had no opportunity”?
4. What does Paul mean that he has “learned in whatever situation I am to be content”? Why does Paul use content rather than joy?
5. What does contentment mean?
6. What is Paul referring to when he says, “brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance”? Is this material? Spiritual? Explain.
7. What is the “secret” that Paul has learned?
8. In this context, what does “I can do all things through him who strengthens me” mean?
9. How would you paraphrase Philippians 4:10-13?
HOW DOES IT APPLY?
1. Is it possible for us to experience the type of contentment that Paul felt?
2. How do we gauge how great an impact circumstances have on our contentment?
3. Do we believe Jesus is satisfying enough to provide contentment in all circumstances?
4. Who are the people that you have seen demonstrate this type of contentment? What was the situation?
5. In what areas are of your life are you struggling to find contentment?
6. How can the life group encourage you in this struggle?
7. Who is someone in your life who is struggling to find contentment? How could you encourage them?