What does it mean?
1. What do we know about the author John Mark? (Acts 12:12, Acts 15:36, Colossians 4:10,
2 Timothy 4:11, 1 Peter 5:13)
2. In v1, why do you think Mark skips over Jesus’ birth and goes immediately to the truth of who Jesus is?
3. What is the meaning of the word ‘gospel’? What is the significance of the titles “Christ” and
“Son of God”?
4. In v2, what is Mark’s purpose in quoting the text from Isaiah?
5. Why does Mark highlight the details of John the Baptist’s clothes, beyond the idea of his fashion sense? (Read 2 Kings 1:8 about Elijah’s wardrobe.)
6. According to v4-5, what was John's ministry all about?
7. If that is true that John was baptizing in association with the cleansing from sin, how do you reconcile that with the sinless Jesus getting baptized?
8. In v7, how did John describe the superiority of the One coming after him?
9. In v12, what is the significance of the Spirit driving Jesus into the wilderness?
10. In v13, why do think Mark describes the temptation of Jesus in a single verse?
11. How would you summarize the big idea of Mark 1:1-13?
How does it apply?
1. If Jesus is our Christ, our King, how does this change our life and relationship with Him?
2. What type of Kingdom does Jesus reign over and what is our role in it?
3. Who were the living witnesses to the truth of the Good News of Christ in your life?
4. Mark highlights four witnesses to Jesus as the real deal. In what ways are we a witness to or for Christ in our spheres of influence?
5. As an expression of faith, how can I be used this week to promote his Kingdom?